I thought I’d share one of my portrait painting tricks with you all. I like getting to this stage in the portrait. Features are painted and fairly accurate. The first coat of paint is mostly dry. At this point one by one I refine each feature. I take a picture of the actual photo I’m working from and a picture of my painting, crop them to the same size, and flip back and forth between the two on my phone. Corrections become really obvious that way. I’ve found that I have to trick my brain into seeing how something actually is, and not what I assume it is.
I also measure the heck out of everything using my dividers.
This is the photo from when I was working on her mouth. I think this is before corrections, I can see a few things that need to be changed.
I’m working from a black and white photo from the 60’s so this portrait has been a little more challenging. At first I painted it practically in sepia tones. I paint what I see so I have to overcome the black and white.